With over 25 years of foreign language experience, I provide tutoring services in Spanish, French, German, and Latin. In addition, I have over 15 years of college admissions test prep training experience and offer an intensive training program to prepare high school and middle school students to take and achieve excellent results on the SAT, ACT and SSAT entrance exams.
My love of foreign languages began in high school, when I first had the opportunity to study Latin. I then proceeded to study Latin and French throughout high school, and then decided to major in German as well as political science in college. During my junior year at Middlebury, I had the opportunity to study at the Ludwig-Maximillian Universität in Munich, Germany through the study abroad program at Wayne State University. I earned a BA in German and Political Science (double major) from Middlebury College, and went on to study French at the Institut d’Etudes Françaises in Avignon, France in affiliation with the study abroad program from Bryn Mawr University. Later I studied Spanish at the Universidad Complutense de Madrid, (Spain) thanks to being an honored recipient of the King Juan I Fellowship from the University of Minnesota. Finally, to top off my international educational learning experience, I earned an MBA in International Management from the Thunderbird School of Global Management.
I began teaching languages prior to attending graduate school and have taught students of all ages ever since in Spanish, German, French, and Latin – from elementary school students to adults. Some specific experiences include:
- Summit School, a nationally recognized, independent elementary and middle school in Winston Salem, NC (Spanish and French, 5th-9th grades)
- Middlebury-Monterery Language Academy, an intensive Spanish immersion summer program for high school students at Middlebury College in Middlebury, VT
- Salem College in Winston Salem, NC (Adjunct Professor of Spanish)
- Flint Hill School, a rigorous, private secondary school in Oakton, VA (Spanish, German, and French)
- Saint Stephen’s School, a prestigious, private secondary school in Alexandria, VA (Spanish, German, and French)
- Casady School, an independent, college preparatory school in Oklahoma City, OK (Spanish, German, and French)
In addition, my MBA in International Management from the Thunderbird School of Global Management makes me uniquely qualified to assist global businesses in developing and implementing language training programs related to specific industry needs. Some examples of businesses I have worked with on such projects are:
- Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center – Spanish for Nursing and Healthcare (healthcare industry-specific terminology, expressions and locutions used in everyday healthcare office and hospital settings; basic medical vocabulary used in the physician’s office and the front office of the medical facility).
- Flow Automotive – Spanish for Automobile Sales and Service Workers (industry-specific terminology, basic phrases, and vocabulary)
- Pallet One, Inc. – Industry-specific terminology and useful everyday expressions in English for Spanish speakers.
- American Academy of Orthotists and Prosthetics – translation of entire website into Spanish, and the translation of technical articles, documents and promotional materials into Spanish, French and German. In addition, I research specific issues and develop multiple choice quizzes for field practitioners to take as part of their continuing education requirements.
- AKZO Fibers AG, AKZO Corporation (Wuppertal, Germany) – Spanish language training for German corporate executives assuming general management functions in Ecuador.